Your SHIP Has Come In!
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for our region is housed at Region 10 under Community Living Services. SHIP is a state program that is funded by the federal government to give local health insurance counseling to people eligible for Medicare benefits.
10 Things You Need to Know about Medicare
SHIPs are not connected to any insurance company or health plan. Our services are free and confidential. SHIP volunteers are well trained to help you with these Medicare questions or concerns:
- “Medicare and You” seminars for those new to Medicare
- Your Medicare rights
- Understanding your options
- Assistance with Medicare claims questions and/or appeals
- Billing and claims problems
- Assistance with Part D Prescription plan comparisons
- Assistance with paying for prescription drugs
- Assistance with complaints about your medical care of treatment
- Identify gaps in Medicare coverage and options to fill them evaluate Medicare supplement insurance options
- How Medicare works with other insurance.
Open enrollment begins October 15th thru December 7th.
This is the time to enroll in or switch Part D Prescription Drug Plans and Medicare Advantage Plans. Your choice will take effect January 1st. Most people will not be able to change plans again until the Annual Open Enrollment Period next year. It is important to review your plans every year. Plans often make changes. There may be new premiums, co-pays, and changes in the lists of drugs that are covered. We recommend you evaluate your prescription drug coverage each year to determine which plan best fits your needs for the coming year. You can enroll or change your Part D plans and Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans from October 15th thru December 7th.
SHIP is located at the Region 10 offices at 300 N. Cascade, Montrose.
Call us at 970-765-3132 or toll free at 1-888-696-7213 to speak to one of our certified SHIP counselors. Many questions can be handled with a phone call. We serve the following counties: Montrose, Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, San Miguel, and Ouray. We also have certified counselors in Lake City at 970-944-0321 and in Gunnison at 970-641-7984.