Region 10 and the Aging and Disability Resources for Colorado (ADRC) have proclaimed the month of August to be ADRC Awareness Month. Using the tagline “Wrapping Around Our Community”, the ADRC is promoting a series of events in August that will bring awareness to the challenges that disabled and older adults face. In addition, the group is working to identify the gaps in service within the community and address the fears of aging safely and comfortably. Funds for these events will directly benefit the programs and services offered by ADRC.
August will be dedicated to several events that are designed to better connect the community with the ADRC. Events include:
· Silent Auction (August 3rd-19th, weekends excluded): ADRC will be hosting a silent auction to raise funds for supportive services for the under 60 populations. The auction will feature a number of items, including power tools, wine, pet toys, and much more (pictured below). The auction will run from August 3rd to the 19th from 8:00 am to 4:43 pm each day. The auction will be held at Region 10’s office, located at 300 N. Cascade in Montrose.
· Community Tap Night & Bake Sale at Horsefly Brewery (August 11th, 6:00-9:00 pm). Horsefly Brewing will be hosting a special community tap night supporting the ADRC. Proceeds from drinks and food served directly benefit the ADRC. ADRC members will be present to provide insight into what services and benefits are available, and listen to feedback on any gaps where people are not being fully served.
· “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” – Breakfast and Movie (August 19th, 7:30am-11:00 pm): This event is designed to highlight and honor older adults and disabled. Breakfast will be served from 7:30 to 9:15 am. Breakfast and activities will take place in the parking lot of San Juan Cinema (1869 E. Main St., Montrose), followed by a special showing of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” which will start promptly at 9:30 am. There will be vendors and information on available services. Space is limited, so please contact Amy Rowan at (970) 765-3123 or email@example.com for more information.
· Music on the Green (August 28th, 6:00 – 8:00 pm) Sponsored by VOA Senior Community Care PACE and taking place at Homestead of Montrose (1819 Pavilion Drive), this is the finale event for the month. Local musician Donny Morales will provide entertainment. Participants are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs. Concessions will be provided.
· “Before I Die, I Want To…” (August 1st-27th): The ADRC will be hosting the “Before I Die” Project. This a new project that is circulating the world, encouraging people to think about that one thing they want to accomplish before they pass away. The goal is to inspire conversations about life and death, and hopefully encourage individuals to strive for their goals. Boards will be available around town for people to share their big dreams. The boards will be displayed at all the events and local businesses. For more information on this project, visit www.beforeidie.cc or watch the video below.
The mission of the ADRC is to provide a coordinated and streamlined access point to long-term services and support for adults age 60 and over, disabled adults over the age 18, and their caregivers. The ADRC empowers older adults, adults with disabilities, and caregivers to navigate health and long term care options by providing options counseling, developing an extensive resource guide, providing educational programs, and encouraging service agencies to work together to provide the best care for the community. The goal is to increase the public’s awareness of the benefits and services that are available in the Region 10 service areas of Montrose, Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Ouray and San Miguel Counties. The ADRC will have trained Options Counselors in each county starting September 1, 2015.
“Before I Die”