The goal of options counseling is to connect those in need – specifically the elderly and disabled – with the services and benefits that will help them become self-sufficient. Region 10 and Aging and Disability Resources for Colorado (ADRC) have provided options counseling for Montrose residents for years, but will soon be expanding into the further into neighboring counties. To celebrate this expansion, Region 10 and ADRC will host “Meet ‘n’ Greets” in each county, introducing their new options counselors to local residents.
“To honor our mission, Region 10 needed to put boots on the ground in each of our counties,” states Amy Rowan, the current Options Counselor based in Montrose. “The goal was to hire other options counselors that live in the communities we serve, who understand the resources and the culture of their community.”
The new counselors and the county they serve are as follows: Amy Rowan (Montrose), Claudette Nicolas (Montrose), Jan Waggoner (Delta), Lee Eakin (Gunnison), Jacqi Kambrish (Hinsdale), Mary Cockle (Ouray), Deb Houts (Ouray), and Deon Tempfer (San Miguel). Each counselor attended an intensive two day boot camp and the ADRC Summit, which took place in Denver recently. In addition, the counselors will undergo ongoing training each month to stay up to date on new services being offered.
Several community organizations, such as Gunnison County Health and Human Services, Hinsdale Public Health, Neighbor to Neighbor, and Tri County Health Network, stepped forward to provide in-kind support to aid this expansion.
To introduce these counselors and partner organizations, several “Meet ‘n’ Greets” have been scheduled throughout the six-county region.
- On October 2nd, Amy Rowan, Jacqui Kambrish, and Tara Hardy will present at Baptist Hall at 401 Bluff St., Lake City, from 12:00 to 1:00 pm. Lunch and dessert will be provided.
- On October 7th, Lee Eakin and Amy Rowan will host an information booth at the Senior Fair taking place at the grand opening of the new Senior Center in Gunnison, from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- On October 14th, Amy Rowan and Jan Waggoner will present at the Paonia Library (2 3rd), from 3:00 to 5:30 pm. Free snacks will be provided by Lizzy’s Market and the Coaltrain Coffee House.
- On October 22nd, Amy Rowan and Jan Waggoner will present at Delta Senior Resource Fair at the Bill Heddles Recreation Center, from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- On November 2nd, Amy Rowan, Mary Cockle, and Deb Houts will be in attendance during the senior lunch at the Ouray Community Center (320 6th).
The missions of ADRC and Region 10 converge to provide a coordinated and streamlined access point to long-term services and support for adults age 60 and older, adults living with a disability age 18 and older, and their caregivers. ADRC empowers older adults, adults with disabilities, and caregivers to navigate health and long-term care options by providing options counseling in a person-centered manner. More information is available at www.region10.net/adrc.